Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Suspension of disbelief

Suspension of disbelief: refers primarily to the willingness of a reader or viewer to accept the premises of a work of fiction, even if they are fantastic or impossible.

Lars von Trier is one of my favorite directors. And one of my favorite Lars Von Trier movies is Dogville staring Nicole Kidman. The set of the movie is comparable to the set of a high school production of 'Our Town'. It took about 30mins into the movie for me to suspend my disbelief, an incredibly long time for a movie. But Lars did pull it off.
Which brings us to Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. These two have been engaged for over a year and have a prop child together. Yet, I just still can not seem to suspend my disbelief in this production that is TomKat. I see pictures of them at soccer games playing the part and still I'm not convinced. I want to believe that Tom was crazy in love and not just crazy when he jumped on Oprah's couch. I want to believe that Suri is actually Tom's baby. I want to believe that Scientologist aren't qwacks. For pete sake's people this man was in 'Risky Business'. It's Tom Cruise!
But I'm still not buying it. So may I suggest that we buy Lars a ticket from Copenhagen straight to Hollywood to direct the production that is TomKat. Lars hates America but for TomKat I think he'd make an exception. TomKat needs a bit of art in this farce, someone that can make the unbelievable somewhat believable.
TomKat meet Lars Von Trier.

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes "enjoying a children's soccer game"

Proving that actors are nothing without good direction.

Lars von Trier

The man that can save TomKat

-->

<< Home